Monday, August 20, 2012

How about...A cupcake??

My poor 4-year old.  He walks in to the kitchen and says "You're making me COOKIES?!" (he knows I'm making cookies because of what the batter looks like in the bowl, mind you....) "No buddy. I'm sorry. This is for the cookie cake for Ms. xxxx"  "But Mo-oooommmmm!!" 
...later...
"You're making me CUPCAKES?!?!" "No buddy.  These are for Ms.' xxx's little boy". I quickly add "But I had to bake a sample cupcake and you're my best tester.  Would you mind tasting one for me when I get them all done?  It would really make me happy..." His little arms wrap a huge hug around my waist.  Whew.  

It must be tough for my family.  I'm constantly whipping up cupcakes, cakes, cookies, icings, mousse and more.  The smells coming from the kitchen are divine, the whir of the mixer can be annoying and my counter tops are off limits to little hands.  So there is often a payoff involved.  A tasting, if you will.
This weekend, the tasting had a sword on it.  An extra I made from my pirate cupcake order.  Take a look at these guys...




The family I made them for, was very pleased.  That always makes me so happy. :)
The other order I worked on was a huge cookie cake.  This is a neighborhood favorite.  And I've made three for this same little guy since May!  I can't blame him, though.  This is my very favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. 
This week I will be working on some zoo themed cupcakes for a friend's little boy.  I have to say, I am loving the hippo.  Something about the little guy.  You'll see.  Pictures to follow next week.  

Also on the agenda for the week? My oldest starts SECOND grade tomorrow!!!  I can't even believe it.  From this 
To this!
Wow.  My little dude isn't so little anymore.  I bought him new cleats for lacrosse the other day.  He's 7.  They are a size 5.5!  Zoinks, scoob.  My husband calls my son a little Ogre. Jake's almost to my shoulder and I'm 5'8".    Bring it on, second grade!  We can handle it!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment